Friday, October 1, 2010

Nicki Minaj tells her gay fans: ‘suicide is never the answer’


Outspoken MC Nicki Minaj has said that she wants to help eradicate homophobia in hip-hop. With the recent rash of suicides by gay youths who have been bullied because of their sexuality, Minaj is now reaching out to tell her fans, point blank, that “suicide is never the answer.”
“I would encourage my gay fans to be fighters and to be brave,” she told MTV News. “People face difficulties, no matter who you are. I faced difficulties with a lot of things. I face opposition every day, but I didn’t kill myself and now, thank God, I’m here. So I want my life to be a testimony to my fans and my gay fans.
“I mean I could never imagine what they’re going through,” she continued. “But I know that suicide is never the answer and I know that things always get better. So I’m supporting you guys. I love you very, very much and for the people who don’t love you, they need help.”
Minaj added that she thinks knowing the motivations of bullies could help those being taunted feel stronger. “I don’t agree that everyone should agree with everyone’s lifestyle. I think that some people aren’t going to agree, but I think that when you’re mean and when you ridicule people it’s a sign of your own insecurities,” she explained. “So shout out to all my Ken and Barbies out there and my girls too; just believe that things will get better and they will they always do.
“It just takes a little willpower. There’s an answer. There’s always a different way that you can fight people back,” she continued. “And definitely [with] suicide you’re giving up and I don’t promote giving up. I promote fighting and winning.”
Minaj joins gossip blogger Perez Hilton, columnist Dan Savage and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres in speaking out against bullying and in support of gay rights.
MTV’s ongoing “A Thin Line” project provides stories and resources for anyone who believes they are being cyberbullied or who is looking for ways to stop harassment by digital means.

No comments:

Post a Comment